Accomplishment and reaching our goals is about sacrifice. Everything takes some level of effort from us. How much effort we are wiling to exert is the difference between sitting on the couch in front of the television for an couple of hours and doing something productive towards your goal, something we may no really want to do but is necessary to get to the next level. As much as it is about what we are doing, it is also about what the next person is not doing.
Did you know accomplishment is rewarding to our sense of self and well being? The effort we make to get where we are going helps reaffirm our self-esteem when that goal is reached. A strong sense of self is a building block in stress management and stress relief. While getting there may require we step outside of our comfort zone, the reward in arriving there adds to the overall enrichment of our lives.
Remember these five simple steps to sacrificing for the future.
- Know what you want and want it takes to get there.
- Decide you want it and you will do what it takes move closer to your goal
- Decide to do it. You have to make a conscious, intentional choice to take action.
- Do it! That's right. Like the Nike slogan, just do it. Even when you are not in the mood to do it, commit to yourself and do something anyway.
- Make it fun and rewarding. Find small ways to break down the journey into smaller task that you can feel good about completing.